Thursday, July 22, 2010

Managing Expectations

Hi future 1Ls,

As Kaitlyn has already told you all, my name is Laura Smith and I was just recently hired to help her plan your Orientation Week. I’m really looking forward to being a part of this process, as Orientation was fantastic last year and I want to make sure that we give you a comparable, if not even better, experience!

Your first year of law school is an exciting, challenging, tiring, but rewarding time. To be honest, there probably aren’t enough adjectives to describe the variety of emotions you will feel this year. You will drink A LOT of espresso, attend lunch-time lectures for the free pizza and find yourself actually enjoying the speaker, learn about negligence in Torts, riparian rights in Property and sentencing in Criminal Law and Procedure; you will also find yourself at a bar with your old friends about to make a law-related pun that only your classmates (some of whom will become friends for life) would find funny!

In retrospect, I think that one of the things I wish I had known beforehand would be how to deal with the expectations. Personally, I wish that I had been better at balancing expectations with the reality of law school. When I say expectations, I'm referring to my own and those that others had of me. Being a type A personality, as I’m sure many of you are, I had and still have high standards for myself academically and in other aspects of my life. You undoubtedly were used to getting high marks in your undergrad and I’m not saying that won’t happen here, but it is necessary to readjust what you have always defined as a “high mark.” For instance, if your expectation for yourself has always been to score in the mid-to-high eighties, try to be accepting of the fact that sooner rather than later you will be thrilled if your factum comes back with a grade of 78%. That’s just how it is here. However, by no means am I saying not to set high standards for yourself. But please take this as a helpful warning that academic excellence will be defined differently than you have grown accustomed to over the years. If you accept this now, you will benefit in the long run, I promise.

Many of us previous 1Ls, including Kaitlyn and me, managed to enjoy a social life while going through first year. What can be difficult, however, is the fact that you will deal with the classic “old friends” and “new friends” dilemma. It can be very challenging to explain to your roommate and best friend that you’re cancelling your dinner out on Friday because everyone from school is going to the Rugby Party and you really want to go. But you owe it to yourself to make new friends because (a) you will meet some fantastic people and (b) they can relate to what you’re going through. So take those chances to meet new people and be honest to your old friends that you likely won’t be as available this year as you have been in the past, but that they shouldn’t take it personally. I can’t even begin to explain how guilty I felt sometimes because I just didn’t have the time to be the perfect friend, student and daughter all at the same time. It does get easier though and eventually your friends and family will understand that you are the same person you’ve always been but you just have a lot more on your plate.

Basically, embrace the experience! We are all very fortunate to have this opportunity to be students for a little bit longer and UBC Law is one of the best places to spend it. Remember to find a balance and have realistic expectations of yourself and your first year of law will be unbeatable.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Written by Laura Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment