Tuesday, June 1, 2010

“What Kind of Lawyer Do You Want to Be?” And Other Questions You Need Not Know the Answers To


One of the first things everyone will ask when you tell them you are in law school is "do you know what kind of lawyer you want to be?". The answer for some of you will come easily. After dreaming of becoming a lawyer since you were a kid or hearing all of your aunt’s stories about practicing law or reading too many John Grisham novels, you have already mapped out your entire legal career. However, for many of us law students the answer will simply be, "I don’t know".

I still remember my relief after being accepted to law school and thinking, great, now I don’t have to decide what kind of job I want for at least another 3 years. While I was right in many respects, I was also in for a bit of a surprise. After starting first year and attending lunchtime info sessions, I began to realize that law school was not narrowing down my options, but giving me new ones I hadn’t even considered.

As a dedicated follower of goal setting and planning in advance, I began to feel overwhelmed. How would I ever decide what kind of lawyer I wanted to be? Then, after listening to upper year students, my CBA mentor, professors, and other lawyers, I realized that not knowing exactly where I wanted to go with my legal career was alright...even after finishing law school.

In fact, tons of lawyers I met never dreamed they would end up where they are and many have changed their career paths numerous times. Take my mentor for example. She started off in litigation, doing mostly trial work in labour and employment law for a big firm in Vancouver. Then she became a mediator and judge for the BC Human Rights Commission and a part time law professor at UBC. Starting this spring, she is once again working for another firm in Vancouver!

Overall, first year has shown me that one of the best things about being a lawyer is just how flexible and ever-changing your career can be. My advice is to attend as many info sessions and panels as you can in order to expose yourself to all of the options a J.D. provides. Finally, remain open to different areas of law, including ones you never imagined you would practice. Who knows what kind of law you might end up falling in love with!
As for me, when I finally figure out what kind of law I want to practice, I'll be sure to let you know. In the meantime, I'll be working on Orientation Week and awaiting any questions you may have about law school so feel free to send them my way!
Your Orientation Week Coordinator,
Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment