Friday, June 4, 2010

Great! I'm in Law School! Now What Courses Should I Take?


The answer to this question is simple…the ones that all first years take! One of the nice things about your first year of law school is that you don’t have to worry about taking the right classes and figuring out your schedule. Instead, you will all be taking 8 basic courses that are already mapped out for you. What’s more, your schedules are neatly created to give you Mondays off and extra time at lunch so that you can meet with friends, catch up on readings, or attend heaps of info sessions on law student organizations and opportunities.

That being said, as with your previous studies, it is inevitable that while you will adore some subjects, you may not fancy others. Lucky for you though, all of your classes will be with your small group. These 20 some people will become your acquaintances, your study buddies, and in all honesty, your life long friends and colleagues. Chances are that one of the 20 some students in your small group will have an interest in a subject that you find more difficult. And if there is anything I can recommend for 1L, it is to work together with these individuals. Take the time to really get to know your new classmates and don’t be afraid to ask them for help or initiate a new study group. Based on my own experiences, I can assure you that this will allow you to excel, both academically and in enjoying your overall first year experience!

While I could go on and on about small groups , I think I will leave that for next week! For now, take a look at your time table: http://www.law.ubc.ca/current/jd/timetables/index.html. While there are course descriptions on the website too, if you have any questions on what exactly a course will entail, feel free to send me an email. If I receive multiple questions I’ll be sure to post my answers to them too. I know it can be confusing, especially with Law in Context and Legal Research and Writing!
I'll be in touch soon, enjoy your weekends!
Your Orientation Coordinator,
Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment